Tuesday, July 28, 2009

There's Never A Good Time

Last night at 11:00 I got a call to my house. And, normally a call that late is either from a different time zone, great news, or bad news. In my case it was the latter. I was told that my grandma -- at over 90 years old -- had passed away. My parents and sister are out of town in Scotland. And, I told my wife, there is never a good time for death, but could this be worse? Four people that I am relationally connected to have died in the last month. That has never happened before. And, so, I am confronted with the fact that death is real; but so is life. In fact, death is the vehicle to life.

Putting a "physical" death on the side for a second, God wants us to put to death things in our lives. He wants us to put to death anything that interferes with our life with him. It doesn't mean that we can have gifts. In fact, every good and perfect gift is from above and is given for our enjoyment (James 1:17 and I Tim 6:17). But, could God be taking you through a period of death so that you can really live? I pause for now and look at the circumstances in my life and ask for God's wisdom in how to interpret the invents so that I know what he would have me do....and listen....

1 comment:

  1. Jeff, sorry to hear about yur grandmother. My hope is that she knew the Lord. I know He will bring you all peace and comfort.
    Anny and Jorge

    ReplyDelete