Friday, July 10, 2009

Hand Holding

Last night JT asked me to sleep in the cabin room with him.  And, I knew that the sleep would not be great.  It never is.  But, I also realized that there will be a time in which I want to sleep in the same bed and he doesn't.  So I oblige.  While in bed, he said, "daddy, will you hold my hand?"  Wow!  Even now it brings tears.  He wanted to know I was there and it was all ok.  

It got me thinking.  If I am his daddy and I am willing to miss sleep and hold his hand to make him feel safe, what will our Daddy in heaven do if we just ask him?  Luke says it this way, "Which of you fathers, if your son asks fora]" style="font-size: 0.75em; line-height: 0.5em; ">[a] a fish, will give him a snake instead? 12Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? 13If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!"

This speaks of the Holy Spirit.  In other places, the Bible tells us we don't have because we don't ask.  But, I want to focus for a minute on the Holy Spirit -- the paraclete, which means he walks (clete) along side us (para -- parallel).  Where was I with JT?  Along side of him.  God tells us that if we ask, he will send the one that will walk along side of us to do some hand holding.  What could be a better gift?  It was the best gift for JT.  

We all need hand holding.  But, it is done in the context of relationship.  I do it with JT because he is my son and he is fostering a relationship with me.  Tell God you want to foster a relationship with him....that you will be still and give him undivided attention.  Then, ask him to hold your hand.  We all need it!

3 comments:

  1. Great illustration Jeff, sounds like Jorge with are two younger boys. I shared this with him and it reminded him of the song "By your die" Tenth Avenue North. Keep them coming

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vulnerability with God leads to our ability in life....

    ReplyDelete
  3. "By your Side" sorry type O

    ReplyDelete