Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Refreshment

As I write this, I am thirsty. I had a cup of coffee with a friend but that wasn't refreshment. I am still thirsty. We all need refreshment -- physically, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually.

In Isaiah 57:15, God tells us the secret to spiritual refreshment: For this is what the high and lofty One says— he who lives forever, whose name is holy: "I live in a high and holy place, but also with him who is contrite and lowly in spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly and to revive the heart of the contrite."

The word revive is also translated refresh and "lowly in spirit" as "humble." God's desire is to refresh us. But, to do so, we must be humble (that's hard) and contrite (just not happy with our sinful behavior). Being humble -- or humility -- is misunderstood, I think. It is not being self deprecating or not acknowledging your gifting. Rather, it is understanding who you are in the context of who He is.

Jesus says it this way in Matt 5:5: :Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth." That word is also translated "humble" and it means strength under control and was used of stallions that are being ridden by its rider. They are very strong and yet under control. We need to be strong people under God's control and need to have a contrite disposition. When we have those two ingredients, then we will be refreshed.

Back to my thirst. Time to get a bottle of water. That will quench my thirst.

No comments:

Post a Comment