Saturday, September 5, 2009

Hurricanes

It was August 1992, and I was in Hollywood, FL waiting for what was to be a direct hit by a Cat 5 -- Hurricane Andrew. As I listened to the radio through the night, I wondered if our 1950's home would be OK. I thought "sure" since they were built better then.... In any event, a last minute wobble changed the landfall site 40 miles south and the damage to the metro area wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been. It was bad alright. I went to South Miami and Kendall to help and it looked like a war zone. But, I was thankful. It could have been much worse for us.

Hurricanes are far too familiar in our day to day lives. The author makes the the point that the only permanent thing in life is change. And, we need to learn to adapt. "Remaining in denial, attempting to control, or clinging to the past will never fulfill us. In fact, "you can be tempted to cling to the past and romanticize the way things used to be." A psychologist stated that "immaturity is demanding that reality adapt to you." I know that many times I want reality -- life -- to conform to how I think it should be. And, it doesn't. A mature person adapts to reality.

In James, we are told to "count it all joy....when you encounter various trials." We are told that there will be hurricanes in our lives. And, when they come, we have an opportunity; we can "count" it -- make a conscious decision that it will be -- joy or not. There can be joy in the hurricanes because we know that God works all things for good for those that love him and are called according to his purpose. Rom. 8:28.

I've been in the midst of a storm. I thought I was on the leeward side of the island away from the waves. And, all of a sudden, a rogue wave came this week. Of course, my first response was to require realty adapt to me. But, I chose and am choosing to trust that all things will work for good. That being the case, I embrace this reality, hold on, and adjust my perception to reality and to the truth that comes from the person know as Truth -- Jesus. Oh, also, I hope for a "wobble" knowing either way -- a direct hit or not -- there can be joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment