Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Rainbows

I wanted to share an experience I had today with two rainbows. I believe that God speaks and wants to communicate with us daily -- even hourly. But, I know at times I am too busy. Pretty sad considering if I listened to His voice I would be guided into green pastures and abundant life. More on that later. In any event, the genesis of the rainbow is God. Here is what God said about the rainbow in Genesis 9: "Then God said, “I am giving you a sign of my covenant with you and with all living creatures, for all generations to come. 13 I have placed my rainbow in the clouds. It is the sign of my covenant with you and with all the earth. 14When I send clouds over the earth, the rainbow will appear in the clouds, 15 and I will remember my covenant with you and with all living creatures. Never again will the floodwaters destroy all life. 16 When I see the rainbow in the clouds, I will remember the eternal covenant between God and every living creature on earth.” 17 Then God said to Noah, “Yes, this rainbow is the sign of the covenant I am confirming with all the creatures on earth.”

Before you begin to say, "yea, but a rainbow is the natural result of light refracting off of rain in the clouds," let me make some comments:

1. Genesis 2: 5 and 6 state "For the Lord God had not yet sent rain to water the earth, and there were no people to cultivate the soil. 6 Instead, springs[b] came up from the ground and watered all the land." So, it is highly probable that the first time it rained was when the flood came. This would make sense as it relates to the fossil records in the North and South Pole (if that interests you, we can talk about that later).

2. How cool is it that God used an event that occurs because of what he put in place to remind US that he is a God that keeps promises.

Back to my experience. I was reading an email that had less than great news. Took a deep breath and for some reason looked up. There they were -- two rainbows -- one full one half. God spoke to me through that saying "I keep promises." Humbled, I paused, agreed and moved on with my day.

And, Noah? "But Noah found favor with the Lord....He walked in close fellowship with God." He acted in faith on what God said believing God would do what he said. God could have protected Noah but required that Noah do his part. One simple question in a story filled with awesome truths:

What is God calling you to do before He will act on your behalf?

No comments:

Post a Comment