Friday, September 4, 2009

GPS

I like to fish. And, on my boat (that I used to have :(...) I have a GPS with a fish finder. And, during the winter months there was a great spot that a friend of mine had shown me off Key Largo. In any event, I marked that spot on my GPS and went back with regularity. One time I told my friend I was going fishing and he said he would be there. Well, as I approached the spot, he was fishing (guided by sight and not GPS) with no luck. As I followed my GPS, I thought it strange that he was about .25 miles off the spot. So, I continued to follow the GPS, and set up on the fish. He pulled his anchor and came along side me and began to catch fish.

The author uses the letters "GPS" to alliterate three core elements to define who we are to be: Gifts, Passions, and Struggles. He points out that David notes that we are "fearfully and wonderfully made," that God "knit us" in our mother's womb. And, he notes that God is a gift giver. He gives gifts to each of his children. He puts it this way: "We're all experts at something, and no one excels at everything." This statements cuts both ways. It is awesome to know that God has gifted me to be an expert in something and yet we must acknowledge that we are not gifted in everything. His suggestion is to: (a) ask God to reveal what your gifting is and (b) ask close friend(s) that will speak the truth what they see as your gifting. God made us with a purpose and when we try to be someone else or do something that is not our gifting we will never fulfill our potential. So, be open to feedback and embrace your gifting. It was impactful for me when his said that "we often behind such language [false modesty -- "I'm not that good"] as a way of avoiding the full responsibility of our gifting."

The next letter stands for passion. God places passions inside of us for a reason -- he wants us to pursue those passions. Psalm 37:4 says, "Delight yourself in the LORD; And He will give you the desires of your heart." You see, as we delight in Him and align ourselves with His world view the true desires (passions) of our hearts are revealed and then we begin to see how the gifting we have can be united with those passions.

Lastly, the author points out that the struggles in our lives point us to God. And, then, we can come along side others that have similar struggles. "God can take my struggles and turn them into stars."

Going back to fishing, my friend was being guided by sight. He was looking at landmarks. But, it wasn't good enough. And, because of that, he missed the spot. I didn't want to miss the spot and so I used my GPS. And, I was able to help him! Today, ask a few questions:

1. What gifts do I have? Don't ask what gifts do I want. Sit there. God has made you an expert! Ask a friend.

2. Ask what is your passion? What do you do that makes time and emotions fly?

3. What struggles do I have that God is using to mold me?

Ask how they can be molded into helping others.

No comments:

Post a Comment