Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Focus

I was speaking with a friend last week about prayer and it was interesting to me that when Jesus ended his discussion on prayer, he says in Luke 11:11: "how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!" What is interesting to me is that Jesus diverts the focus of prayer from a need to a person -- the Holy Spirit, basically saying focus on Spirit led prayer and that will take you to what you really need not what you want. That's important because all of us take time in our day to tell God what we want -- and that's important (though He already knows), but it seems to imply that there's a more core issue and that is: who is leading the prayer.

Do I go to God with my needs only or do I go "asking God to fill [me] with the knowledge of his will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding?" (Col. 1:9). This seems to be the wiser choice but so many times I discard the person and focus on the needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment