Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Random Thoughts

I normally have a plan when I write. Today, I feel compelled to write some random thoughts after reading Luke 6.

1. Behavior modification or transformation? I am sure all of you have heard about the hearsay rule "that's hearsay!" shouted the attorney in court. Normally, there are many statements that cannot be used in court because they lack authenticity. However, there is one exception I want to point out -- excited utterances. The courts recognize them as true. The reasoning follows that what you state just after a heightened state -- like an accident -- is normally true. Jesus says about the same: "For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks." You want to know what's in your heart? See what comes out when you are pressed, stressed. The problem is that we have focused on behavior modification in the christian life. God wants to transform your heart.

2. Construction. I have heard many times it said, "if you can trust Him for eternity, why not with all other things?" My response is simple, "I can't CONTROL eternity, I can control things in this life (so I think)." Jesus says, "I will show you what he is like who comes to me and hears my words and puts them into practice. He is like a man building a house, who dug down deep and laid the foundation on rock. When a flood came, the torrent struck that house but could not shake it, because it was well built." Here's the problem. If you build a house to withstand hurricane winds of 180 MPH, you don't know if it works until the winds come. But, Jesus says, if you trust me and put into practice my words, WHEN (not if), they come, you will stand. The other problem is that you can't decide to reconstruct the house when the winds come. It's too late.

3. Measuring. We all want the benefit of the doubt in our relationships. And, yet, we are not too willing to extend the same courtesy. Jesus says, "For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

Are you into behavior modification or transformation?

Are you putting into practice God's principles?

Are you extending the benefit?

No comments:

Post a Comment