Monday, October 25, 2010

Truth

In one of my favorite dialogues of all time in "A Few Good Men," the following takes place:

Jessep: You want answers?
Kaffee (Tom Cruise): I think I'm entitled to them.
Jessep: You want answers?
Kaffee: I want the truth!
Jessep: You can't handle the truth!

Every time I listen to that scene I get goosebumps. Deep down inside we want truth, not just answers. The challenge presented is that we are told today that "truth" is relative. And, this is no new concept. Listen to the other great dialogue I love:

You are a king, then!" said Pilate.
Jesus answered, "You are right in saying I am a king. In fact, for this reason I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me."
38"What is truth?" Pilate asked.

Even in Jesus day, truth was seen as something that is relative. Like beauty, it is in the eye of the beholder. The problem with that world view as a Christ follower is that truth is not a concept. It's not relative. In fact, it is a person. Jesus said in John 14:6, "I am the way, the TRUTH, and the life..."

Truth is a person and his name is Jesus. What I am not communicating is that there is always a black and white answer on all things. There's not. And, that's why it is so important for us to understand that the person of truth wants to lead you into truth in your life.

As Christ followers, we must stand firm on the clear cut truth of the word. We must extend grace in areas of grey. And, for our own specific life issues, we must seek Truth. Be careful, though. If you just want "answers," he's not the right person to speak with. Sometimes, truth is hard to handle.

Ask, God for truth the ability to handle the truth as it applies to your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment