Tuesday, October 12, 2010

20/20 Vision

When I was a kid, I didn't want to wear glasses. I had 20/40 vision and an astigmatism. Not really bad vision and nothing that affected my ability to play sports. And, I just didn't want to wear glasses -- not cool, not really needed. But, the reality is that with glasses things would become much clearer. I would have 20/20 vision. In John 9, Jesus talks about vision and the division created by lack of vision.

Jesus healed a man blind from birth. And, when he did, the blind man accepted the undeniable fact of Jesus though it was unexplainable how the healing took place -- miracles are unexplainable if you don't have 20/20 vision. And, when he explained to the leaders of the synagogue what took place it lead to a division because of a vision problem. Some of the leaders couldn't see because they wanted an explanation on their terms and their vision didn't allow them to see (their worldview lenses). If it could not be explained on their terms, then it wasn't true. And, they didn't want to trade in the old lenses for new ones.

We act the same way in our lives. We are told by Jesus to act certain ways. To speak a certain way. To think certain ways. And, when it doesn't seem clear, at times, we opt to remain with 20/40 vision. The problem with this is that when we don't change our lenses and embrace the lenses of God's worldview, we will never truly see clearly. And, we will miss out on God's plans for us. I had a friend tell me yesterday "well God will work it out for the best." That's not true. It's not Biblical. As we talked -- and agreed -- God will work it out but we can't wave magic Jesus "dust" over bad decisions and say "it will work out for the best." There are built in consequences to our actions. At times, God saves us from them. But, how much better would it be for me -- us -- to ask God what the right decision is based on 20/20 vision? Jesus, wants to commune with you and speak to you giving you 20/20 vision.

How's your vision? Pause and ask God for 20/20 vision today. Oh, and by the way, I have 20/20 vision now. I wear glasses....

No comments:

Post a Comment