Monday, August 10, 2009

Jesus on Trial

We all have some recollection of Jesus being captured and being put on trial in front of Pilate. In John 18, we see the story unfold. And, Pilate asks a simple question, "What have you done?" (35). Of course, what had he done? He healed the blind, cured the deaf and lame, cast out demons, raised the dead, calmed the seas, fed the multitudes, allowed the disciples to go into storms....And, I want to stop right there. Storms.

Jesus was on trial for doing nothing but good. And, as I read this verse, I realize that I put him on trial too. It goes something like this with the interrogatories: Why would you allow this financial crisis? Why would you allow that accident to occur? Why wouldn't you just make that go away, you can!? And, his response to Pilate and me are the same: "You say I am a king. Actually, I was born and came into the world to testify to the truth. All who love the truth recognize that what I say is true.” But, here is the kicker, don't we at times respond to Jesus with the same response of Pilate "What is truth?”

Real simple. Truth is the reality of life based on facts, not on emotions or feelings. My feeling: God I feel abandoned, betrayed. His truth, I will never leave you or forsake you. But, I feel.....yes, but feelings are fickle and God is faithful.

God gives hope that is real. An actual promise of a better tomorrow -- maybe in circumstances but certainly in my character and relationship to him -- that will come true. And, so, as I end my interrogatories, I adjust. I realize truth (unlike Pilate) is a person -- Jesus. We all have a little Pilate in us. We all question. But, the real question, is who is truth, not what.

No comments:

Post a Comment