Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Contentment

Yesterday, we buried my grandmother. She was 92 so she lived a long life. She had very little but she was happy. Quite interesting I think. She was different (we all are to some degree). But, she would paint her own car. And, one day she received a bright orange notice from the city re a violation. Instead of "curing" the violation, she simply cut out a piece of cardboard to match the size of the notice and put it over the notice -- out of sight, out of mind. Really something. While I can't say I agree with all the decisions she made, I think she made one and kept it -- contentment. Song of Songs says, "I slept, but my heart was awake." (5:2). Have you ever been in that situation? You sleep but you really don't. Your mind will not let you sleep? There are times when this can be almost unavoidable, like the night before your wedding. But, for the most part (if not a physical issue), it shouldn't be for us; not if we find contentment.

I Tim 6:6 says, "But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it." Paul is addressing those that think that riches bring joy. They don't. He underscores it with the fact that nothing leaves with you. And, Paul was not a poor man. In Phil. 4:11-12, Paul says, "Not that I was ever in need, for I have learned how to be content with whatever I have. I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little. For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength." Paul had much and he had little. But, he focus was not on the what but the WHO. He focused on Christ. And, because of who he focused on and hoped in, he had contentment.

All that being said, if you have the ability to make wealth, make it. But, don't hope in it. Use your gifts for the most good. Don't be lazy. But also, don't hope in something other than Christ. And, if you are not sure if you are hoping in something other than Christ, then ask a simple question: If he took it all away, could you be content? Be honest. He already knows the answer. Ask him to guide you to contentment. It's a process we are all on.

1 comment:

  1. Great thoughts Jeff. These are days we are all being squeezed and shaken as Christians like never before to test our true place relationally with the Lord. In these last days "What can be shaken ...Will be shaken" and finding that place you stated above of contentment in any circumstance is one way I see God challenging me theses days. Great stuff Jeff.

    ReplyDelete