Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The Battle

I sit here today wondering why I forget so often that there is a battle.  In church on Sunday the pastor spoke about how christianity is on the decline per Newsweek.  And, on Saturday the professor said that things will continue to get worse.  Without getting into an eschatological debate, I suggest that this battle is worth fighting for.  Our hearts -- the hearts of men and women -- are worth fighting for.  Turkey is where Paul planted churches and is now muslim.   I make the point only in that we are always one generation away.  Why is our generation -- me included -- so passive?  Eldrege, in "Fathered by God," makes the point that Israel did not have to go into the wilderness -- it wasn't inevitable.  It was avoidable, but Israel wouldn't fight -- it was passive.  We are at war but we -- I -- want to think sometimes that I am not. Well, I am.  Why don't we live like we are at war?  I think it is one of the greatest tricks the devil plays -- make us forget about him.  What is wrong with our hearts that we are passive? Lord, I want to be "all in" whatever that means.  I don't want to be passive.  I want to avoid the wilderness.  It is avoidable.  Help me to act.    

No comments:

Post a Comment