Wednesday, June 24, 2009

A Custom Reboot

I have a first generation Iphone.  I know, I am outdated.  In any event,  a few months ago I unlocked and jailbroke the Iphone.  And, yesterday, I downloaded the new operating system to the phone.  And, the operating system locked my phone.  It gives the phone a pattern that it must operate within.  It cannot operate outside of that pattern.  This means that the phone can only work on an approved carrier an only have apple apps.  Of course, I want it to operate in a new way -- a new pattern of rules -- that gives me freedom to use Tmobile and other company's apps.  

So, I feverishly spent about 3 hours searching for and downloading the programs I needed so I could change the pattern.  I had to do a custom reboot that required I delete some of the regular operating system so my phone could think in a new way.  It worked!  My phone now is free to work how I want it to.  

It got me to thinking about my walk with God.  He says, in Romans 12:2. "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will."

This world has its own operating system.  And, the pattern of this world can only be changed by a daily custom reboot -- the renewing of your mind.  

Psalm 119, has a lot to say about how we can achieve a custom reboot.  It says, "I told you my plans, and you answered.  Now, teach me your principles (26). "  We need to ask God to reveal his principles to us. Then, we need to commit to think about them.   "I will meditate on your priniciples continually (117)." And, "I meditate on your age-old laws (52)."  We need  to ask God to "give discernment to me (125)."  We need to treasure his word.  "Your law is my delight (174)." And,  "Your law is more valuable to me than millions in gold and silver (72)."  

I believe most of us say we want to know God and his will.  But, do we really treasure his law more than millions?  Do we delight in his law?  Do we search for hours until we have the tools for the custom reboot?  Only after we mediate on his word, ask for discernment, and value his word, will we be able to renew of minds.   

No comments:

Post a Comment