Monday, January 4, 2010

A simple Phrase

"A male and female of each kind entered, just as God had commanded Noah. Then the Lord closed the door behind them." Gen. 7:16.

I am sure I have read that part of the Noah story many times. God told Noah to build an ark for the rain (a phenomena that had never occurred prior to the flood). He told him to take at least two of every kind of animal. Noah does. Game on. Only one issue remained: who will close the door to the ark?

Last night it was windy -- very much so. And, JT was scared because of all of the wind. So, he came into our room at least 10 times. Finally, I went to where he was and went to sleep. It wasn't the most comfortable but I did. When JT woke up, he asked, "why did you sleep all night there daddy? You could have left." I said, "because you were scared." To which he replied, "but once I went to sleep, you could have left." Well, I wasn't going to leave. And, it's because I wanted him to know I was near.

Back to the door closing. I would assume Noah had a way to close the door. I mean he opened it when the flood was over. I see a few possibilities, both of which are comforting. Maybe, the Lord closed the door as a way of letting Noah know, I am with you every step of the way. I am near. Then again, the door could have been too heavy to close. If that were the case, another principle is shown: Do all that you know to do and can do, and trust the rest to the Lord. Either way, we see a God that is personal and powerful.

Do you need to know He is near? He knows the number of hairs on your head and will never leave you nor forsake you.

Do you need to see His power? Do all you know to do and can do and then wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment