Friday, January 15, 2010

Debt/Debtor

We live in a society that tells us to follow our hearts. Do what you want when you want. You deserve it. Jesus, however, is countercultural. He tells us to do what's right until it feels right. He tells us that feelings will come as you do the right thing. But, deep down inside it seems hard to believe and society doesn't agree with it. Why should I? Simple, I trust him to bring me home why can't I trust him in other areas of my life and in this instance marriage?

So, I got home last night, wrestled with JT (that's always fun). Steph left the room and I heard CC crying (she doesn't want to go to bed but mama insists) and then I hear the dishes rattling. Steph comes back and the boys have finished their rendition of Gladiatior on the bed. We pop in the movie for JT and tuck him in. Clothes from the dryer hit the bed. I hit play on the DVR. Time for some Idol. And, then I was hit:

"Will you do it, Jeff." Do what? Say, "thank you." hmmmm. But, she's just doing her job......man, how much is that ingrained in us? We put ourselves into a contractual relationship with our spouses. S/he has a job to do and if it is done, perfect. Life moves forward. And, if not, well then, let's see.

To be honest, I didn't "feel" like saying "thank you." But, I make JT say it to us ALL the time cuz it's right! I can't say "thank you?" Come on! And, yet, I battled. Finally, I lay on the bed and say, "Thanks, Steph, for doing the laundry and the dishes." She pauses, and says "thanks for coming home." Sounded strange. Strange but good. Nice to be appreciated. Valued. Wanted.

How about you? How difficult is that little word or two? Are you willing to try?

And, oh yea, I forgot one....Steph, thanks for putting down CC.

2 comments:

  1. "Thanks" for your leadership Jeff.
    I'm sure most of us can agree that you have facilitated a conversation with our spouses that will lead to stronger " relationships" .
    F

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for saying Thanks to Steph.
    We often times get caught up in the tasks of just getting through the day that we disregard the small gestures.
    I woke up to little post-it notes of "Thanks"~~Absolutely priceless :)
    Now should I say Thanks for the Thanks???~LOL

    ReplyDelete